Building Custom Street and Off-Road Vehicles


Monday, April 4, 2011

Super Beetle front disc brake conversion

Everyone knows that the technology of brakes has improved tremendously since 1973 when this car was originally built.  I had some issues with the brakes and actually being able to stop.  The brakes would have to be pumped in order to be able to stop.  The could be adjusted and adjusted and would not solve the problem.  The braking force is mainly in the front brakes.  With weight transfers, the front brakes do 80% of the braking depending on weight distribution.  Back to the internet.  I don't have any pics of this.  I guess I should have done it.  I purchased the Empi front brake conversion kit and figured that I should replace the master cylinder at the same time since the brakes had to be bled anyway.  The rear brakes may be upgraded later.  The Empi kit didn't come with any instructions on installation.  The one thing to make sure of is that the caliper is centered on the rotor.  This was accomplished with the provided washers that I initially couldn't figure out where they went.

Time for the test drive.  I didn't have to drive any further than down the driveway and I almost put myself through the windshield.  I guess they worked.  It is probably one of the most important upgrade that was done.  The rear brakes may be done over the summer.  That depends on how much money I have after vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment