Building Custom Street and Off-Road Vehicles


Sunday, April 24, 2011

Design and body work starts

I wanted to be sure that when I build this vehicle, I build it efficiently.  Not just with time constraints, but with a tight budget.  The body work is the most time consuming part for me.  I have no experience in body work with the exception of sheet metal work and welding.  I know how to do them, but have never done it on a car.  I have no idea how to do body work except that you don't want a lot of filler.  Filler is both your friend and your foe.

The idea of a Baja has always caught my eye.  My brother had a VW Beetle when we were in high school and I saw the Baja kit in JC Whitney catalogs.  I have already done part of the baja, but it was time for me to just get the whole care done.  I purchased a parts car a while ago.  I paid $150 for it and I got over $300 worth of parts not including the parts needed for the Baja.  Well the parts weren't all that was thought.  They were for a standard Beetle and I have a Super Beetle.  Not the same parts.  I guess I have to learn how to do fiberglass.  More books to read.  More research and more fun.


The old paint on parts of the car had to come off.  There were 4 coats of paint on this door.  That was too thick.  Other parts were only 1 or 2 coats.  Those parts just get sanding and finishing.  The car needs to be done soon.  I have other cars to get done.  I am working every spare minute I have.  The roof is dented and scratched bad.  The curves on the roof make it difficult to get the filler right.  You have to be sure that the contours match in multiple directions.  More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment