Building Custom Street and Off-Road Vehicles


Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Upgrade starts

I started the upgrades with getting the vehicle to perform the way I wanted it to.  Engine upgrades can be expensive, not only in initial cost of the parts, but if you go overboard, then fuel economy can suffer.  I didn't want to build a big engine.  I can go fast enough on the highway and it accelerates OK.  It started with the carburetors.  My son and I went to a VW aircooled show in North Carolina and found the swap meet.  I found a pair of Weber DCNF 40mm carburetors.  I wanted carbs that I could have one barrell for each cylinder so that I can tune them for each cylinder.  The original carb was OK, but I wanted the performance from dual carbs.  Well, it was very typical of what happens when I go to upgrade.  Nothing fit in easily.  The cooling fan shroud needed to be cut in order for the carbs to fit.




After that was all cut and put into place I had another problem.  The air cleaner mount plate wouldn't fit.  It was an easy fix, but it involved making new base plates for the filters.  After that was done, I had to make the linkage.



This is my own design that was made from tubing, square rod and carb linkage ends.  Hard to get good pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment